Top tips for women's health
With the beginning of a new decade, why not decide to start out right? As women, we may easily feel overwhelmed and tired as a result of all our responsibilities and long daily to-do lists. It's at these times that a healthy lifestyle and optimal nutrition are vital to support you as woman in your multiple roles. And if you take the following three tips to heart, you can make the very best of the year to come.
- Stay hydrated
- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water daily. Water is essential to hydrate, as well as to help cleanse and detoxify the body.
- One of the first symptoms of dehydration (lack of fluid in the body) is fatigue. Regular water intake is therefore essential to help maintain optimal energy levels.
- Dehydration often triggers cravings for sweets and starchy foods. Make sure you drink water regularly throughout the day, especially at times when you crave those forbidden sweets and treats.
- Memory and concentration can be affected by water intake. It is believed that a mere 2% drop in body fluid can trigger short-term memory and concentration problems.
- Exercise regularly
- Exercise is nature's best stress reliever.
- Regular exercise will keep you fit, helping you to cope better with the physical demands of a stressful day and demanding lifestyle.
- Regular exercise supports weight management, not only through burning excess fat, but also by improving the body's metabolic rate by increasing and maintaining lean, toned muscle tissue.
- Take nutritional supplements
Looking for the essential supplementation combo for women? Look no further.
- Vital Multitime Women provides a wide array of essential vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids and antioxidants, as well as cranberry extract, which helps maintain optimal women's health.
- Vital Omega 3 Concentrate is a valuable source of essential omega 3 fatty acids that are required to maintain good memory and concentration, a beautiful skin, healthy blood circulation and healthy joints.
- Vital Calcium Complex is a concentrated source of calcium, in perfect balance with magnesium, vitamin D and other bone-support nutrients.
- Vital Evening Primrose Oil, a rich source of the omega 6 fatty acid GLA, supports the management of symptoms associated with PMS and menopause (e.g. mood swings, irritability, skin breakouts and breast tenderness).
Submitted by Andrea du Plessis
- Breakfast time is ideal
- The presence of food slows the digestion of the nutritional supplement, allowing more time for optimal absorption in the digestive tract.
- The best time to take multivitamins is in the morning, especially since the B vitamins in the supplement are rapidly absorbed and available for energy metabolism during your working day when you need it most.
- Take your multivitamin with water
- It's best to take your supplement with cold or room-temperature water. The heat of coffee or tea can reduce the activity of heat-sensitive nutrients such as vitamin C or vitamin B complex.
- Coffee contains caffeine and tea contains tannins. Both are known to interfere with the absorption of certain minerals, especially calcium and iron.
- Take calcium at night, after your meal
- Calcium is best absorbed when there is a higher acid level in your digestive tract. Eating food, especially high protein sources such as fish, dairy, eggs or lean meat, stimulates production and secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach, which forms an essential base for our digestive juices.
- Another reason why it's best to take your calcium supplement at night is that calcium is best absorbed and incorporated into your bone tissues while you're sleeping, plus it can aid in sleep.